Malamar is a new Pokemon in X and Y that few people use in competitive battling. However, its Ability Contrary can be one of the most powerful in the game.
The move Superpower is a very strong attack, but normally, its damage output is balanced by a drop in Attack and Defense stats. However, Contrary reverses those stat drops, and instead increases Malamar’s attack and defense. This can turn Malamar into an unstoppable tank. Items such as the Assault Vest increase Malamar’s survivability, while attacks like Payback take advantage of Malamar’s sub-par Speed stat.
|Held Item 1||Assault Vest|
|Held Item 2||Leftovers|
|Move Set||Superpower, Psycho Cut, Payback, Rock Slide|
|EV Spread||252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Sp Def|
|IVs||HP 31 / Atk 31 / Def 31 / Sp. Atk – / Sp. Def 31 / Spd –|
|Nature||Adamant (+10% Atk, -10% Sp Atk)|
Malamar can be used at practically any time during battle, but it is best to send it out when you think you will have at least one or two turns when you won’t be under fire. This will give Malamar time to set up its defenses.
Once Malamar is on the battlefield, repeatedly use Superpower to boost Malamar to its fullest potential. Once its stats are formidable enough, use any of the attacks you have on Malamar to take out as many of your opponents Pokemon as possible.
Once Malamar has entered battle, avoid withdrawing it, because this will erase all stat boosts you have given it.
Things to Watch Out For
- Bug type Attacks. Though these are rare in competitive, a well timed Bug Buzz can be deadly to a Malamar.
- Will-o-Whisp. Not only does Burn slowly whittle away at Malamar’s HP, but it also halves its Attack. Rotom-Wash, as well as other Ghost-types commonly carry this move.
- Swagger. This moves is highly uncommon, but if it is used on Malamar, it will cripple it. If Malamar gets Swaggered, withdraw it to erase the Attack decrease.
Ask questions or share feedback
- Please comment on this post below
- Email email@example.com (audio files welcome)
Connect with Pokedex Radio
- Subscribe, rate, and review in iTunes
- Follow our Instagram
- Like our Facebook page
- @PokedexRadio on Twitter
Please support the website
- Donate to help support the website