Accelgor is a very unique Pokémon, both in its method for evolution, and in its stats and move pool. Its Speed stat is through the roof, and it has decent Special Attack, but its defenses are pitiful.
Accelgor has the Hidden Ability of Unburden, which raises the speed stat by two stages when its held item is lost, making Accelgor even faster. It can also learn Acid Armor and Agility, both of which raise a stat by two stages. Guard Split and Acid Spray would lower your opponent’s defenses and make them vulnerable to attacks. Finally, Baton Pass lets you pass all of Accelgor’s stat boosts on to another member of your party.
Accelgor works best in single battles.
|Baton Pass Accelgor|
|Held Item||Focus Sash|
|Move Set 1||Baton Pass, U-Turn, Guard Split, Acid Armor|
|Move Set 2||Baton Pass, U-Turn, Acid Spray, Agility|
|EVs||252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Sp Atk|
|IVs||HP – / Atk 31 / Def 0 / Sp. Atk 31 / Sp. Def 0 / Spd 31|
|Nature||Naive (+10% Spd, -10% Sp Def)|
It’s best to switch in Accelgor once your opponent has set up a sweeper and KO’d one of your Pokémon. If you like the matchup, stay in. If you don’t, use U-Turn to switch in to a better Pokémon.
If you decide to keep Accelgor in, use Guard Split, Acid Spray, or Acid Armor, depending on what you want to set up. If you want to set up a wall to take a physical hit from the opposing sweeper, use Acid Armor. If you want to leave the opponent susceptible to attacks, use Acid Spray or Guard Split.
Accelgor will survive the first hit, due to the Focus Sash, but you want the Focus Sash to be used up so it triggers Unburden. That is why you IV breed Accelgor’s defenses so low, so that it is guaranteed to be knocked down to the Sash on just about any hit.
On the turn after the Focus Sash is triggered, use Baton Pass to switch in your own sweeper or wall. The new Pokémon will retain all stat boosts that Accelgor gained, so they will have double Speed, and double Defense if you used Acid Armor.
Things to Watch Out For
- Stealth Rocks/Spikes/Toxic Spikes. Stealth Rocks and the Spikes deal damage or poison on a switch in, which will make the Focus Sash useless since Accelgor wouldn’t be at max HP. If you run an Accelgor, make sure to have a Pokémon that knows Rapid Spin on your team to get rid of Entry Hazards.
- Sandstorm or Hail. These weather conditions deal damage at the end of the turn, so that after Accelgor is knocked down to the Focus Sash, it will be knocked out by the weather on the same turn. Have your own Rain Dancer/Sun Maker at the ready to neutralize these effects.
- Priority moves. If your opponent’s Pokémon has a priority move, they will be able to knock out Accelgor before it can use Baton Pass.
Ask questions or share feedback
- Please comment on this post below
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org (audio files welcome)
Connect with Pokedex Radio
- Subscribe, rate, and review in iTunes
- Follow our Instagram
- Like our Facebook page
- @PokedexRadio on Twitter
Please support the website
- Donate to help support the website