Blissey is the classic example of a special wall. With astronomical HP and a very high Special Defense, it can take any Special Attack you throw at it. However, its low Defense stat makes it incredibly vulnerable to Physical Attacks.
A unique role that Blissey can fulfill on a team is that of a medic. Few Pokémon have the healing potential that Blissey has. It can learn moves like Aromatherapy to cure your team’s status afflictions, and Wish to restore their HP.
Move Set 1 is for a Blissey completely dedicated to healing, while Move Set 2 is more of a “classic” build.
|Ability||Natural Cure (for Singles) or Healer (for Doubles)|
|Held Item||Focus Sash|
|Move Set 1||Aromatherapy, Healing Wish, Counter, Light Screen|
|Move Set 2||Aromatherapy, Wish, Toxic, Protect|
|EVs||252 HP / 252 Sp Def / 4 Def|
|IVs||HP 31 / Atk – / Def 31 / Sp. Atk – / Sp. Def 31 / Spd 31|
|Nature||Calm (+10% Sp Def, -10% Atk)|
Keep Blissey in your party until one of your important Pokémon gets to low HP, or was neutralized due to Paralysis or Burn. Switch that Pokémon out, and send in Blissey. Blissey’s Focus Sash guarantees that it can survive the first attack it takes so that it is alive to use its healing moves the next turn. On the second turn, use the move that would cure your important Pokémon. If you use Wish, you have to switch Blissey out on the next turn and send in the injured Pokémon. Using Healing Wish causes Bissey to faint, but it heals its replacement entirely, and you get a free switch as well.
If you are running Toxic on your Blissey, you could set up a “Toxic Stall” on your opponent to try and whittle away their HP before they can take out Blissey.
If an opponent’s move would 1-hit-KO Blissey, you will hold on with 1HP because of the Focus Sash. If you predict this and use Counter, the opponent has no chance of surviving.
Things to Avoid
- Priority Moves/Fast Physical Sweepers. If an opponent hits Blissey all the way down to 1HP on the turn you switch Blissey in, they can use a priority move to take it out before it can heal anything. They could also just out-speed you and kill you anyway.
- Taunt. If an opponent uses Taunt on Blissey, it will be unable to heal any of your Pokémon.
- Saving Blissey for Last. If your last Pokémon is Blissey, your chances of winning are very slim, even if you run Toxic or Counter.
Ask questions or share feedback
- Please comment on this post below
- Email email@example.com (audio files welcome)
Connect with Pokedex Radio
- Subscribe, rate, and review in iTunes
- Follow our Instagram
- Like our Facebook page
- @PokedexRadio on Twitter
Please support the website
- Donate to help support the website