Ludicolo is often utilized on Rain teams because of his two Abilities, Rain Dish and Swift Swim, both of which give benefits to Ludicolo in the rain. However, Ludicolo is mostly only used to set up the Rain condition, or as a Special Wall. However, it has a lot of untapped potential as a Special Sweeper as well.
In the Rain, the Swift Swim ability doubles Ludicolo’s Speed, which is an essential stat for any sweeper. The Rain also boosts its Water type attacks like Hydro Pump, giving it the ability to do massive damage. At level 100, Ludicolo’s speed stat is over 475 in the rain, and it’s Special Attack stat can go as high as 450, if it is holding Choice Specs. It has a range of powerful attacks to choose from, making it very versatile. This Pokemon is a force to be reckoned with.
|Rain Team Sweeping Ludicolo|
|Held Item 1||Choice Scarf|
|Held Item 2||Life Orb|
|Move Set 1||Hydro Pump, Giga Drain, Ice Beam, Focus Blast|
|Move Set 2||Scald, Blizzard, Energy Ball, Echoed Voice|
|EV Spread||252 Sp Atk/ 252 Spd/ 4 Def|
|IVs||HP 31 / Atk – / Def 31 / Sp. Atk 31 / Sp. Def 31 / Spd 31|
|Nature||Modest (+10% Sp Atk, -10% Atk)|
This build of Ludicolo has a very straightforward strategy.
Do not send out Ludicolo unless the Rain is active, and switch it out once the Rain has ended.
When Ludicolo is in, choose the attack that you think will be most effective in the specific situation. The objective is to deal as much damage as efficiently as possible.
Things to Watch Out For
- Sun Teams. Not only does the Sun remove the Rain, it cuts the power of Water type moves. You can tell a Sun team if they have lots of Fire and Grass types, especially Ninetails, Charizard Y, and Houndoom.
- Paralysis. This status condition cuts Speed in half, removing Ludicolo’s advantage from Swift Swim.
- Special Walls. These Pokemon can easily take hits from Ludicolo. Use a different, physical attacker for these types of walls.
Ask questions or share feedback
- Please comment on this post below
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org (audio files welcome)
Connect with Pokedex Radio
- Subscribe, rate, and review in iTunes
- Follow our Instagram
- Like our Facebook page
- @PokedexRadio on Twitter
Please support the website
- Donate to help support the website