Drifblim is one of those Pokémon that will be forever remembered as one of the most annoying Pokémon to take out. This lends itself perfectly to competitive battling.
Drifblim has an amazing HP stat of 150, and a decent Special Attack of 90. What makes the Blimp Pokémon stand out is its Hidden Ability Flare Boost, which boosts this Pokémon’s Sp Atk damage by 50% when it is Burned. There is an item called the Flame Orb witch automatically Burns the holder at the end of its first turn in battle, which is perfect for Drifblim. Drifblim also has a solid move pool, with moves like Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt, and Psychic that can pack a solid punch. Charge Beam and Clear Smog can give you tactical advantage, while still damaging your opponent, and Calm Mind and Tailwind make up for Drifblim’s weak Sp Def and Speed stats.
|Special Sweeping Drifblim|
|Held Item||Flame Orb|
|Move Set 1||Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt, Psychic, Tailwind|
|Move Set 2||Shadow Ball, Charge Beam, Calm Mind, Clear Smog|
|EV Spread||252 Sp Atk/ 252 HP/ 4 Sp Def|
|IVs||HP 31 / Atk – / Def 31 / Sp. Atk 31 / Sp. Def 31 / Spd 31|
|Nature||Modest (+10% Sp Atk, -10% Atk)|
Drifblim can be used at almost any time during battle. However, once it is sent out, it is best to keep it in until it faints.
On the first turn that Drifblim is sent in, use a set up move, such as Tailwind or Calm Mind. The Flame Orb will not have burned Drifblim yet, so it won’t be at its full attacking potential.
On the next turn after Drifblim was burned, use the attack that you think is most fitting for the situation. Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt, and Psychic are all used mainly for damage. Charge Beam can be used to give Drifblim an extra boost, and Clear Smog can disrupt an enemy Pokemon that is trying to set up.
Things to Watch Out For
- Status Moves. If Drifblim is hit with Poison or Paralysis before the Flame Orb can kick in, the extra power from the Flame Boost Ability won’t be there any more.
- Stealth Rocks. These entry hazards will deal 1/4th of Drifblim’s total HP on switch in. Try to use Haze or Rapid Spin before switching in to Drifblim.
- Special Walls. Pokemon with high Sp Def will easily take hits from Drifblim, and they will be able to stall out Drifblim through the Burn.
Ask questions or share feedback
- Please comment on this post below
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org (audio files welcome)
Connect with Pokedex Radio
- Subscribe, rate, and review in iTunes
- Follow our Instagram
- Like our Facebook page
- @PokedexRadio on Twitter
Please support the website
- Donate to help support the website